Our environmental policy
GCHQ Environmental Policy Statement
We recognises that the day-to-day operations and activities at our sites can impact upon the environment in many ways. Therefore, we are committed to minimising our negative environmental impacts.
This policy commits GCHQ to the following:
- Identifying and complying with all environmental legislation and associated regulations relevant to its activities; specifying that contractors do the same when working on our sites
- Using energy and water in a responsible and economic way to minimise negative impacts on the environment
- Avoiding, where reasonably practical, the use of environmentally damaging substances and materials and those harmful to human health.
- Identifying significant environmental aspects of our activities and seeking continual improvement in our environmental performance, through implementation of an Environmental Management System (EMS) compliant with ISO 14001
- Working with suppliers and contractors through a sustainable procurement strategy to improve sustainability performance
- Minimising the generation of waste. Choosing to re-use and recycle waste wherever possible and minimise waste to landfill
- Implementing travel plans for business and commuter travel that minimise environmental impact
- Preserving and enhancing biodiversity on our estate wherever possible
- Preventing damage to the environment resulting from the release of polluting substances
This will be reviewed annually to ensure it continues to reflect GCHQ's commitment to the environment.